A short history of the Christ Church Building in Billericay
Christ Church Mission Hall is established: 1932-1933
On October 3, 1932, the St. Albans and Chelmsford Church Trust purchased a piece of land on Perry Street, Billericay, for the sum of £300, to build a Church of England Mission Hall serving the parish of Ingatestone and Buttsbury. The hall, called ‘Christ Church’ was built in 1933, and was dedicated to God’s service by the Bishop of Chelmsford.
In 1953, the parish boundaries changed, and Christ Church became part of the Billericay parish. It continued to serve the locality until the population of Billericay boomed in the 1960s, after which the hall was replaced with the present, larger building.
The new Christ Church is built: 1965
The present Christ Church main building was constructed next to the old Mission Hall in 1965, and consecrated on December 11 that year. Over time it had several major additions, the first of which was a scout hut, built in 1971.
The original site was longer than it is now, extending about 420 feet from the road. In 1973, some of the land was sold, giving way to Chestwood Close, but also giving us a vicarage within a short walking distance from the church.
Later, in 1982, the original Mission Hall was finally knocked down and a new ‘church hall’ was built behind the large Christ Church building. The most recent addition was finished in 2004, when an atrium was built to connect the main building to the church hall.